Monday, February 11, 2008

Lightning Really CAN Strike Twice!!





Happy Valentine's Day to me!! Step Up 2: The Streets starts on Thursday! Don't think I'm not going on Thursday - I will be the first one in line for the first show of the day.


Perfect Husband teaches on Thursday nights, so we are celebrating Heart Day, or as I like to call it, Socially Sanctioned Salacious Slut Day, on Friday. (Don't even get me started on those dumb ass hearts that have the cute little sayings on them...who do those actually work for? 13 year olds? Here's what mine would say, "Don't want my heart? Fuck off." "Got Chlamydia?" and my personal fave, "Yes, size does matter." If you are going to make me read candy, it had better damn well be chocolate....but I digress...) Anyhow, I have Thursday all to myself to study and work out and things until Perfect Husband comes home at about 10.

I am not going to be able to stay at home all day and study, knowing that my movie is here, so I am going to the first show to get it out of my system, so hopefully I will be productive after that. My boss would be so thrilled to know what I have planned for my day off on Thursday.


But I know that I will feel guilty about studying, so here are a few Con Law nuggets I will ponder while I am watching my movie. It takes place in a rough area of Maryland, so there is sure to be some sort of economic discrimmination, right? There is bound to be a Pretty Posse of dancers that can't afford to go to the big, artsy school that is going to get them a shot at the big time and deliver them from the ghetto. And what standard of scrutiny would a law that results in economic discrimmination have to meet? Rational basis test, where the plaintiff has to prove that the statute in question is rationally related to a legitimate government interest, right? Or are painfully pretty, yet marginally talented dancers a protected class? Since one never really knows about these things, in the event that the Pretty Posse is, in fact, a protected class, then the statute that is undoubtedly depriving said Pretty Posse of an education in the arts must survive strict scrutiny, wherein the state will have to show that the statute is necessary to achieve a compelling government interest. And since basically nothing will survive strict scrutiny, the Pretty Posse will be able to dance till their little feet fall off and everyone will live happily ever after.


Especially me!!!


I think I got Con Law covered, right?

2 comments:

Emily said...

Throw in some shennanigans about a fancy city's ordinance criminally banning spinning rims on any vehicles travelling through it and the fact that the only car that can possibly take Pretty Posse to the big audition is one an older brother is able to borrow (in exchange for some shady favor) from "Trick My Ride Out", the autoshop where he works. Then, you shall have Con Law covered.

I have not seen or heard of Step Up/Step Up 2 but I am a sucker for dance movies such as what I imagine these are. This is evidenced by my love for Save the Last Dance. Makes my cry everytime.

Golnoush said...

LOL!! I remember taking my note cards to a movie last time around, people must of thought I was nuts!