Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Jackass: Part II

I think Jackass is stalking me. I have seen him twice in the last week, not counting our class on Sunday. If you are unfamiliar with my friend Jackass, check out Barred for Life: First Time Takers Can Be Assholes. I have a feeling he keeps seeking me out to boost his self esteem; he can tell me about all the writing, MBE's, and performance tests he is doing all day every day, while managing to avoid the paralyzing fear and self-doubt that plagues the rest of us. How has he escaped this? Is his ego that big? And if so, who exactly is helping him create that monster of an ego?

I have a lot of friends that I went to law school with that have taken and passed the California bar exam. Not one of them has any idea how they did it. They are all very humble and grateful and more than happy to tell you what worked for them. Some of them were confident and disciplined and methodical in their approach to the bar and it paid off for them. Some weren't at all focused and some didn't take any type of bar review class and they passed as well.

I also have friends that were at the top of their class in law school, had good, high-paying jobs waiting for them and they failed the bar. Some more than once. So, why does Jackass think he will be any different than the rest of us? Don't worry, I am not going to go pissing in the karma pool. I hope he passes...yada, yada, yada. And when he does, he can suck it.

Then I start thinking that maybe I am not cut out to be a lawyer; I don't have what it takes to pass the bar. Maybe Jackass does really have it all down and he is going to go in there and kick some ass. And maybe his life is one big, naked, slumber party at the Big Firm that is going to pay him an Ungodly Amount of Money. But can one person have it all? And right then, as he is telling me about how he is way ahead of me in our bar review class, and if I just do what he does, then I will be fine, I look down, and I see them. And I feel better than I have in a really, really long time.

Jackass has seriously small feet.

No comments: